Wednesday, July 19, 2017


Wed July 19, 2017

DOD 25 -- Are you Scared? 
Luke: "I'm not afraid!"
Yoda: "you will be,...you will be"

Mathew chapter 10; take a look at it.  It’s an amazing story.  Jesus sends out the disciple to do the things he’s already been doing – heal the sick, raise the dead, cure leprosy, and cast out demons.  The kicker for us is that they actually do it.  They come back stoked that they can literally do these things; RAISE THE DEAD, are you kidding me that rocks!! 

Then comes the kicker, the one verse that has tied me in knots over my Christian journey.  Vs. 39, “if you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life, you will find it.” (NLT)  “He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” (NASB). 

This verse is tough one.  Does it mean I have to give up everything I like or enjoy and toil in the Kingdom of God?  Does it mean that heading over to the middle east and standing up for the name of Jesus to the point of taking a bullet is the only way into the kingdom?

If we knew Greek, we’d see that the word used here is referring to the psyche (mind), not the bios (biology).  The disciple just came back all fired up over what they could do in Jesus name.  And in some way, I think Jesus is saying, don’t get caught up in all the excitement, I’m life, not the signs and wonders.  But he also says things like, “those who give up family for my sake…”  Romans says to “be transformed by the renewing of your minds.”  What things do you think are going to save you? What things do you cling to bring comfort and security?

So, for me, what it has come down to is that I have to examine the things that I love.  If I asked the question, “what is the one thing you could never give up?” what would your answer be?  I am coming to see that “church” is not the answer.  An intimate and loving (both ways, giving and receiving love) relationship with God is the real answer.  If your answer is your wife, your job, your ministry, your kids, your drug of choice, your affair, you whatever, then I’d ask you to reexamine what God is wanting of you.  Not all these things are “bad”, but if they have taken the place of God in your Heart then we should question our loyalties.

Recently when we were discussing this in group, one of the guys said, “you all will have to help me ‘cause I’m scared to give up those things”.  I haven’t heard that type of statement for a while.  I want to tell you quite frankly, You Should Be Scared! 

If the things your “giving up” don’t cause you a little fear and trembling, maybe you’re not looking deep enough.  I am talking about Giving over the rights to the things that have supported you psychologically.  I am not suggesting that we abandon our families.  I am suggesting the we put God first and understand that He wants to give and show love to you and through you via your family. Its not about them, its about Him.  Same with your wife, your job.  As for the sinful things, those are just simply stealing your LIFE.  He does want you to give them up, because there is no redeeming quality about lust or drugs.  They give us a short term fixe to a heart-deep problem, and ultimately steal LIFE from us and those around us. 

So what is it? What is it that your scared to give up? What is it that’s coming first in your life that needs to be set back in the Queue?  That’s one of the secrets to doing this in community, we are scared, it does hurt.  Its hurts like withdraw symptoms hurts.  But we come together and fight side by side.  We “push on toward the Goal” that deep relationship with our creator.

And lest you think it is all on us or all hard, remember, Jesus also said things like “whoever gives up family or homes will receive exponentially more in return” (my paraphrase).  “come to me you who are weary and heavy burdened, I will give you rest”, “my burden is easy and my Yoke is light” 



Your assignment today is to ask these questions, and take the chance, the risk, to pray and ask Jesus to help with the answer.  Then give Him the opportunity to renew your mind.  It will be scary sometimes.  You have others in the boat with you. Share. Lets face these things together and get on with the finding of the LIFE part of the equation.  Put off all that hinders, paul says, and run the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment