Thursday, July 6, 2017

DOD 14, 40 Day Challenge
Pep talk: 
So I have been reading through Exodus for a few weeks now.  Exodus is the story of God freeing the Israelites from their Egyptian bondage.  I don’t how many of you all know the story but it is pretty awesome.  I have heard it since I was a kid but I have marveled at as I have read it slowly and taken in all the details.  Disney even did a movie on it although it was terribly inaccurate comparing it to the Bible.  Not the point.  As I have read I can see so many parallel’s between my own journey the Israelites.  I see so many truths to God delivering me from my bondage to sexual sin and the Israelites under the Egyptians.  The section I want to look at I have been reading the last few days.  This hit me in a very personal way.  I don’t know if it will do the same for you but consider the lessons here.  Warning this may not be the last DOD I do based on Exodus.

Warm up:
Read Exodus 14.  Get in your mind that the Israelites had been in Egypt for 430 years.  I am not sure how long they had been slaves but for some time.  Time enough this was normal for them.  They did not like it but had accepted it as life.  God sent Moses to Pharaoh to demand he let the Israelites go.  Pharaoh hardened his heart over and over for a year and endured 10 plagues on Egypt.  Pharaoh only said the Israelites could go after his firstborn died along with every firstborn in his family and every firstborn in Egypt.  The Egyptians were begging the Israelites to leave and giving them their gold and goods as the Israelites asked on their way out of the country.  God was showing them He cared and blessing them.  Do you have the picture?  The Israelites are free.  No more slavery.  Now invite God to be your Coach as you get into this workout.  

Go Heavy now: 
Exodus 14:8b “…the Israelites, who were marching out boldly. V10-16 “As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and there were the Egyptians, marching after them.  They were terrified and cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses, ‘Was it because there were no graves in Egypt you brought us to the desert to die?  What have you done to us bringing us out of Egypt?  Didn’t we say in Egypt, “Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians”? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than die in the desert.’  Moses answered the people, ‘Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance of the Lord today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.’  Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Why are you crying out to Me?  Tell the Israelites to move on.  Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.’”

Exercise 1:
 Exodus 14:8b “…the Israelites, who were marching out boldly. V10-16 “As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and there were the Egyptians, marching after them.  They were terrified and cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses, ‘Was it because there were no graves in Egypt you brought us to the desert to die?  What have you done to us bringing us out of Egypt?  Didn’t we say in Egypt, “Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians”? It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than die in the desert.’  
How many times have you marched boldly and said I am done with my sin?  I will not look at that site again.  I will not talk to that person again.  I will not satisfy my desire lustfully.  I am strong I will not do it again.  Then a commercial comes on that tempts you.  Or a joke is told at work.  Or you wife
unintentionally says something hurtful (or intentionally, either way not excuse).  You rationalize it is better to give and not hurt.  Ease the pain.  It is better not to have to fight but just give in.  I was a slave for 30 years.  I can’t count the number of times I did this.
List what your Egyptians are.  Temptations or hurts or triggers.  Know what they are.  Don’t be clueless and a fool.  Watch for more to pop up today.  Note them.  Be aware.

Exercise 2:
Moses answered the people, ‘Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance of the Lord today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.’
Make a plan on how to be still when your Egyptians come.  I feel like the word calm could be here.  When I was finally exposed and was living free things popped that looked bad and my wife would witness me flailing away trying to fight off my Egyptians off.  Even if it was all in my head.  I needed to be calm.  I need to be still.  Yes there is that commercial on.  Yes that comment was said in the sermon at church and here I sit next to my wife who has just been triggered.  Be still.  God will fight for me.  Be still.  Be still.  Make a plan on how to calm your mind.  Find a truth or two to cling to.  Like in a recent DOD say it, pray it out loud.

Exercise 3:
Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Why are you crying out to Me?  Tell the Israelites to move on.  Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground.’”
Now stop questioning God.  Why are the Egyptians coming? What are we going to do?  Move.  Move on.  This temptation specifically you will never see again.  You may see something like it again but this one will not come back specifically at the same time and spot.  Move.  Don’t stay there waiting on it. Move. God will make a path but you have to move first.  Move away from the Egyptian.  God will make a path.  He will give you dry ground.  That is amazing.  He did not say level ground.  So there may still be difficult parts in the path but it will be dry.  Move.  Watch for God to open a way.  How will you move?  Make a plan.  A specific plan.  I will pray.  I will pray this.  I will read this or cling to this verse or truth.  I will text or call this person.  Make a plan.

Practice:
We're talking about practice.  Talk to God about this plan. Tell Him what you need.  Listen to see if He wants to refine your plan.

Game on:
Today you will have a chance to use this.  Big or small.  Start now.  Move.

Share what God showed you today on GroupMe

No comments:

Post a Comment